How Does Mediation Work?
- Mediation is held in a private setting with both parties present.
- Robin introduces herself and ensures that everyone present feels that she can remain neutral and support the best interests of all parties.
- Robin reviews ground rules and the mediation process.
- All participants sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) before mediating.
- Robin also asks what each person wants to achieve as an outcome of the mediation.
- Parties share, without interruption, their historical perspective of the conflict.
- Clarifying needs and issues are brought forward; parties generate options for resolving the conflict.
- Dialogue and negotiation continues until an agreement is reached that is acceptable to both parties, or not.
- All parties (including Robin) hold the right to end the mediation if it has come to an impasse.